The History of Hughes Family of Businesses
In 1888 Thomas
Hughes purchased the assets of Elmore Martin's Brick Yard, located at
Around 1904, H.C. Burn started working for the Hughes Company and in 1910 Mr. Hughes sold his company to the Burn brothers H.C. and Ernest P. [The mortgage listed: (2) mules and harness, (3) carts, and all other articles on the premises including brick, lumber, and lime.]
Four years later in 1914, H.C. Burn bought his brothers half interest in the company, some growth can be noted from comparing bill of sales. An additional mule was added as well as gravel, terra cotta piping, and a truck.
In 1947, H.C.
Burn became ill and H. Cameron Burn. Jr. was forced to leave college to direct
Hughes Lumber. Mr. Burn, Sr. never
fully recovered and H. Cameron Burn, Jr. assumed complete leadership, guiding
Hughes Lumber through the turbulent post war period to today's Hughes Lumber;
In 1953, C.L.
"Buddy" Smith joined Hughes Company as sales manager overseeing sales
for the next 38 years until his retirement in 1991. By 1957 a major addition was made to the
main building, and the company was incorporated as Hughes Lumber and Building
Supply Company, Inc. In 1971 Hughes
joined the American Hardware cooperative and subsequently became the leading ServiStar outlet in
By 1983 John Burn
and Edward Burn had joined their father in operating Hughes Lumber, becoming
the third generation actively participating in providing exceptional services
and products to the citizens of
In 1983 Hughes
Rental Company, Inc. was created, doing business as Hughes Equipment and Rental
Supply Company under the leadership of John Burn. In 1993 Hughes
Party Rental was opened to provide tents and party supplies.
In 1997 John Burn opened Hughes Equipment and Party Rental at
enthusiast and somewhat of a history buff, Cam Burn has done considerable
research on the property his company now occupies at 82 Mary St. During the Civil War, the first floor of the
two story frame building on the property was used as a tavern. The operator of the tavern and his family
lived on the second floor. Long boats
would come up a tidewater creek from the
Back in 1970 workmen were digging in the lumberyard to place poles for a new lumber shed and uncovered the tracks of the “Best Friend”. This was the first regularly scheduled railroad train pulled by a steam locomotive. The “Best Friend” started operations Christmas Day, 1830.
Hughes Lumber has been able to capitalize on its location to serve residents of the peninsula. "We're doing everything we can to provide the best service and best merchandise available for those who come in here to do business", says Cam Burn, "Anything the homeowner or contractor wants can usually be found here."
The Hughes Co. (1939) Hughes Lumber Co. (1956) Hughes Lumber & Bldg. Sup. Co., Inc (1962)
Hughes Lumber & Bldg. Supply Co., Inc. (Present Day)
Today Hughes Family
of Businesses has over 40 employees providing service to the greater
Hughes Lumber and Building Supply * Phone:
Hughes Equipment Rental * Phone: (843) 577-5818 * Fax: (843) 853-7934
Hughes Equipment and Party Rental * (Mt. Pleasant) * Phone: (843)
Send email to Hughes Family of Businesses for more information or general comments.
Looking for a special item that is hard to find? Send an email to our Buyer and he will let you know if we stock it or if it is available through our warehouse order.